These chapters are coming soon—if you're interested in finding out when they're released, please sign up below.
Separately, if there are topics you'd like to see me cover, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting up your finance stack
- The basics of financial hygiene (avoiding commingling, separating out business and personal expenses ASAP)
- What systems you should set up right away (bank, credit card, etc.) and why
- What are valid business expenses, and what are your recordkeeping obligations around them?
- Treasury management 101 for startup founders
- Common pitfalls you should absolutely avoid
Finance and accounting
- Basic accounting concepts: what is accounting? How do I read a financial statement?
- When do I actually need accounting? What can I usefully derive from my accounting records?
- Should you DIY? How should you DIY?
- Responding to investor information requests
Collecting money from customers
- Considerations around getting your first sale: what is a quote? What is an invoice? How do you actually get money from people?
- Best practices for invoicing and what payment methods you should accept
- AP and AR: what are they? What are hygiene best practices?
- The importance of annual prepayments
- What are my tax obligations, in general, and how do I deal with them?
- Important tax dates and FAQs
- You have to file taxes even if you didn't make any money
- You have to file taxes for a given year even if you were incorporated for just one day
- What do you actually need to file?
- What's the deal with Delaware franchise tax?
- Sales tax
- Special considerations for foreign founders
- Special considerations for companies with remote employees
- How do you hire people?
- Categorization: employee vs. contractor, full-time vs. part-time, exempt vs. non-exempt
- Employment paperwork: CIIA, NDA
- State registrations
- Worker's Comp
- Do you have to pay yourself?
- How much should you pay yourself?
- Hiring people internationally
- Other business insurance?
- Benefits, selecting benefits, and what's appropriate in the early days
- Issuing equity
- 83(b) elections
- Vesting considerations: vesting schedule, cliffs
- Single-trigger and double-trigger acceleration—and our views on it
- How much equity should someone get? What does it mean?
- Frequent employee questions about equity
- Cap table management 101
- 409(a) valuations
- Your other miscellaneous obligations
- Record-keeping obligations
- Data rooms